Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Love Letters to the Dead

18140047It begins as an assignment for English class: Write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain because her sister, May, loved him. And he died young, just like May did. Soon, Laurel has a notebook full of letters to people like Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Amelia Earhart, Heath Ledger, and more; though she never gives a single one of them to her teacher. She writes about starting high school, navigating new friendships, falling in love for the first time, learning to live with her splintering family. And, finally, about the abuse she suffered while May was supposed to be looking out for her. Only then, once Laurel has written down the truth about what happened to herself, can she truly begin to accept what happened to May. And only when Laurel has begun to see her sister as the person she was; lovely and amazing and deeply flawed; can she begin to discover her own path.

I wanted to love this book, I really did. I loved the concept, a girl writing letters to dead people and all. But I didn't like that she was so clueless so much of the book. I mean somethings don't take a genius to figure out, like coming clean about your sisters death would be a good place to start. It eats her for some much of the book and prevents her from letting go, over a year past her sisters death she still can't just come clean and let it go. When she finally does she changes so much and isn't  so weird about stuff. I also at first didn't enjoy the fact that the whole book was her writing letters to different dead people, all who mostly died at a young age. I just, I don't know, there was just several things that kept me away from loving it, but I did really enjoy it over all.  I don't know if i would recommend it over all, but it is a good, more serious read, just not really my style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment