Pages

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Giver

A Newbery Medal–winning classic is reinvented in a gift edition format with illustrations from the acclaimed artist Bagram Ibatoulline.
Since winning the Newbery Medal in 1994, Lois Lowry’s The Giver has become one of the most influential novels of our time.This new illustrated edition, a celebration of the book’s standard of excellence and of Lowry’s illustrious writing, makes a perfect gift. The text is complemented by thirteen
new illustrations from the acclaimed artist Bagram Ibatoulline. Also included are a new introduction by the author and her inspiring Newbery Medal acceptance speech. The new content and gift packaging now make it easier than ever to introduce young readers to this riveting modern classic, and provide a fresh edition for its legions of fans.
The story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal world. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver does he begin to understand the dark secrets behind this fragile community.
The Giver is the first in the trilogy of books that includes Gathering Blue and The Messenger.

So I decided to read this because the movie is suppose to come out this August (2014). I have heard nothing but great things about the series and that gave me the push I need  to read it. And I am glad I did. Its a dystopian novel that is set in a perfect world on the surface but as the story goes on, Jonas finds out how corrupt it really is. There was so many time during this book I was shouting "yes!" under my breath. The only thing I disliked was the ending, how it was a cliff hanger and it seemed to just end, not really having an ending, it kinds of just stops. But in the end i loved it and I defiantly want to get the rest of the series to read one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment