Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Flowers for Algernon

With more than five million copies sold, Flowers for Algernon is the beloved, classic story of a mentally disabled man whose experimental quest for intelligence mirrors that of Algernon, an extraordinary lab mouse. In poignant diary entries, Charlie tells how a brain operation increases his IQ and changes his life. As the experimental procedure takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis. The experiment seems to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance--until Algernon begins his sudden, unexpected deterioration. Will the same happen to Charlie?
An American classic that inspired the award-winning movie Charly.

Let me just say, I know now why this book sold over 5 million copies. It blew my mind, like seriously, it did. It was written in a "diary" format but they were really progress reports the scientists had him keep for a record of how he was feeling, thinking, doing, etc. And one thing I really loved about this book was the growing plot, but also that the progress reports changed in length and style and also the spelling and grammar changed as he got smarter. So I thought that was cool and a important part of the story. This is a spoiler, but the book doesn't have a happy ending, as much as I hoped it did, I had the feeling it wasn't going to and was correct. It was still a decent ending though in my opinion that is.  It had the story all wrapped up and there wasn't any loose ends to wonder over later. After all of those things I would say its a pretty good book and I would recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment