Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Holes

This winner of the Newbery Medal and the National Book Award features Stanley Yelnats, a kid who is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnats. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys' detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the warden makes the boys "build character" by spending all day, every day, digging holes five feet wide and five feet deep. It doesn't take long for Stanley to realize there's more than character improvement going on at Camp Green Lake: the warden is looking for something. Stanley tries to dig up the truth in this inventive and darkly humorous tale of crime and punishment—and redemption.

I loved this book. The characters, the story line, and how things all connect in the end to leave us with a happy ending. I feel like everyone read this book as a kid, even though I still count as a kid I think I would have loved it even  more if i was younger then I am now (16). But still, wow, I am so glad I own a copy of the book so my future kids can read this and also my siblings. Everyone should read it, any age group can and do read it, but I would say 12 and under will love it the most. One of the best things about the book to me was the fact that there was that one character that I loved to hate, like if-I-was-there-in-real-life-I-would-have-tried-to-kill-type people. But that is one of my favorite parts to some books, I want to have some emotion toward someone in the book, whether it be anger, pity, or love. This book was well written and 233 pages long so a shorter book with a faced paced plot. I would seriously recommend it to all age groups but mostly kids around 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment